Monday 15 February 2021

Pivot

 Are you sick of the word pivot?


I admit, I am a jargon junkie. As a teacher, I found the words that confirmed my various biases (I took the UofA free online course Science Literacy during Covid times) and used them as descriptors of my favorite tools and techniques “thematic” “integrated” “hands-on” “inquiry” ”engagement” “authentic” ….the list goes on and on and I’ve used them to death. I know this because when I get wound up and launch into one of my passion pitches, I see my listener’s eyes glaze over. 


And now, “pivot” is everywhere. 


For all the years that have passed since my reading of Simon Winchester’s The Professor and the Madman, I have coveted my own beautifully bound, multi-volumed OED (Oxford English Dictionary). While facilitating EJ School at the Edmonton Journal building I would visit the Journal’s set in the little library on the 3rd floor and lovingly thumb through a volume or two. Recently I discovered my Edmonton Public Library card gives me digital access to the delights of the online OED and that is now a virtual rabbit hole I fall down often.

Like many rich English words, pivot comes to us from French. It can be used as a noun https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/pivot_1 or a verb https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/english/pivot_2 and just right now, it gets mentioned lots in the world of business.


During the research for my next examination of Inquiring Minds Edmonton, I discovered two people writing about the nature, art and practice of the pivot. While operating the ICE School classroom from 2002-11, I would create a bulletin board filled with quotes that supported my year-long theme. The following 2 quotes will inform my interviews and ruminating going forward.


“In basketball, a pivot refers to a player keeping one foot firmly in place whilst moving the other in any direction to explore passing options. Much like a basketball player, successful pivots start by planting your feet, setting a strong foundation, then scanning the court for opportunities, staying rooted whilst exploring options.” Jenny Blake, 

Pivot  http://www.pivotmethod.com/  I love a good sports metaphor.


“Pivoting isn't plan B; it's part of the process.”  Jeff Goins,

The Art of Work https://artofworkbook.com/  

Inquiring Minds Edmonton while based in their learning rich sites are all about the process.


Stay tuned. 

I will be pivoting. 

More to follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment